Guest post-New Years Eve with Liliian Harlow

This New Years Eve guest post is from the lovely Lily of Lillian Harlow from Australia, who wants to share with us NYE in Oz.



What is your ideal way to spend New Years Eve?
My ideal way to spend NYE is with a cocktail party at our house. We live in the middle of Melbourne, one block from the Yarra River and from our balcony we have a glorious view of the fireworks that line the river. We are also a short walk to the centre of the "action", so often we'll gather our guests and go for a walk to stand under the fireworks for midnight... then wander home to finish off the night in comfort! It's a glorious way to spend the evening, and even though I often wonder what I've gotten myself in for the day prior (when I'm cooking all day in the sweltering Australian heat in the kitchen), it's always worth it! Our apartment is not really suited to a sit down dinner for more than 6, so when we have a lot of guests, a cocktail function is ideal. The upside is that I have become the queen of finger food ;)

What will be your New Years Eve outfit this year?
Most years, NYE in Melbourne is VERY hot! The hottest I have experienced was 42 degrees celcius (approx 108f). Our home is not airconditioned and a breeze will only do much. So most years I dress to be cool and comfortable. This year I think a light maxi dress will be in order, something simple so that I can go all out with my accessories. There's nothing like bold and bright jewellery to say "Happy New Year".


Do you have any unusual traditions that take place in Australia? Here in Spain we must eat 12 grapes with the strike of each bell at midnight. Anything similar?
I'm not aware of any traditions that take place at midnight in Australia other than kisses and champagne... but really, how could anything else compare to kisses and champagne anyway? ;)


Your drink of choice?
My drink of choice for NYE is often a long cool glass of fresh punch, which is both refreshing and dangerously drinkable. We are also very big fans of cocktails, and my Beloved makes a mean muddled strawberry mojito which is delicious on a hot night.





If you could be somewhere other than Australia, where would you like to ring in the New Year?
If I were overseas for NYE, I would have to say that I'd love ring in the new year in NYC! It has always been a dream of mine to enjoy a white Christmas and NYE there.

What beauty product can't you survive without during the party season?
The most important product for me in the festive season (and just about any other season) is my SFP 30+. I am incredibly pale and for us Christmas and NYE usually means a lot of time spent at the beach, or enjoying outdoor picnics and the like. Without my SPF I would be ringing in the new year looking redder than Rudolph's nose.




What is your best stress reliever?
My best stress reliever is my fiance. It is a cliche, but if things do become too manic, a quiet cuddle is just the trick to melt it all away and get me back on track. That or a sneaky afternoon G & T ;)

What are your hopes and dreams for 2012?
We are getting married in 2012, so that definitely factors into my hopes and dreams for the year:

- I hope that my parent's health improves and that their quality of life can be increased somewhat
- I hope that our wedding planning goes smoothly and that we both enjoy our day, surrounded by our family and friends
- I hope that the last 5 years of stress within our business finally pay off and we can have some peace of mind and financial security
- I hope that 2012 will bring health and happiness to those near and dear to me
- I hope that this time next year when we reflect on the year that was, that there will be many fond memories to revisit



A BIG thank you to the lovely Lily for sharing her NYE with us. It is just left for me to wish her a wonderful 2012, and hope that all her dreams and wishes come to fruition.



10 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever spent NYE in that kind of blistering heat! Lily's plans sound like fun,I especially like the sound of a "stress reliever" G&T !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous Interview! Love the choice of shoes and the Fact that Fiance is the best stress relieve~ how cute!)))~ Love it!!
    Merry Christmas My Dear!

    XO,
    Yelena

    glamthings.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! Fabulous shoes, and great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi sweetie! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

    Love this post. I'm always intrigued to hear how people from other parts of the world spend their holidays. I've really only spendt NYE outside of NYC 2 times ever before. Once in Quebec City and once in Puerto Rico. I hope to change that in the future :)

    Happy holidays, love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed this guest post too! It's interesting hearing what other peeps get upto over the festive season!

    We'll be throwing Pomegranates on our front doorstep (home & Biz) for luck and welcoming the New Year!

    re: olive oil - I soooo forgot about including that - It's great for the hair too warmed up and face! Thanks for reminding me!
    x.o.x.o

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vanessa! It was great to meet Lily with her guest post. I can't imagine being in that heat on New Years eve. We are all wrapped up in sweaters. LOL I love hearing of others traditions. We also kiss and toast champagne at midnight. I didn't know in Spain you eat grapes at midnight. So interesting to learn these things.

    I agree with Lily NYC looks like a lot of fun on New Years eve. We watch that ball drop every year in Times Square NY---- from our t.v.

    Have a wonderful New Year!
    Dee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely interview! its nice to hear about what New Years is like on the other side of the world

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely post! Love hearing about the NYE in Australia :)

    Happy Friday!

    xx Ivana

    Stop by sometimes :)
    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to hear about New Year's Eve in Australia...loving the shoes!! Wishing you all the best in 2012 ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vanessa: Happy New Year for when it comes, and we'll definitely meet up when you move back!
    Chomp those grapes for me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!