So unassuming and yet......................



I used to pass this gorgeous town house every day when I lived in London 9 years ago. I never really gave it a second glance, although I always noticed chauffeur driven luxury cars waiting outside; but I still never thought twice about it, as it is quite common in this part of London.

However, with the introduction of Carrie Bradshaw and the gang, I now know that this very gorgeous townhouse is in fact the shop that all women revere. To say most women worship at this mans feet (feet is a big clue here girls!) is an understatement.

It is the gorgeous shop of none other than Manolo Blahnik. Surprised?

Here are some more facts and trivia that you may have not known:

*Jackie Onassis wore Manolos
*Madonna said his shoes were “as good as sex!”
*Princess Diana used to sit on the floor of his studio chatting to him while she tried on pair after pair.
*Sex and the City introduced his creations to a whole new generation.
*His father was from Prague and his mother was from Santa Cruz de la Palma in the Canary Islands
*During the war his mother learnt how to make her own beautiful shoes with the help of an island cobbler.
*His parents wanted him to become a Diplomat and shipped him off to the University of Geneva to study Law. But he dropped out after his first forensic medicine class when he passed out on the floor at the sight of the corpse.
*One of his earliest creations was for Ossie Clark.
*His first shop was a tiny boutique in Old Church Street, Chelsea.
*He keeps one of each pair of shoes he has designed; 25,000 shoes are arranged in date order in panelled cupboards that fill up two adjoining houses in Bath. Wouldn’t you love to play around in that house for a day or two?
*He tries on many of his creations to ensure they don’t snap (a sight to be beholden!)
*His first “pop-up” store will open in Liberty’s of London which will not only sell his shoes, but also umbrellas, notebooks, cushions, silk scarves and drawings from his shoe archive.

So there you have it, some facts/trivia on the Saint of Shoes. If you are lucky enough to be in London to visit the pop-up shop, I SO envy you!


p.s if you haven’t already entered our ‘Gorgeous Giveaway’, do scroll down and enter. The winner will win TWO fab prizes.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you again for sharing details that so many of us may not know. I had no idea Jackie O wore Manolos. I love her a bit more just because of that. :)

    By the way, it was my pleasure to include you. Many people loved your post and commented or tweeted about it. You have a wonderful way (like today) of sharing information that people are curious about. I don't know where you find it, but keep up the great work. :) Have a wonderful week Vanessa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much SimplyLuxurious.
    I'm quite new at this blogging game, so your comments mean the world to me, as you know I have "blog envy" over your blog.

    I also didn't know that Jackie O and Princess Diana wore Manolo's. I knew Princess Diana was a big Jimmy Choo fan, so this was surprising to me also.
    Thank you again for all your support; you're an absolute diamond!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous trivia! I just love Manolos. They're so comfortable and amazing the only humane way to wear a fabulous pair of heels :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting!
    Thanks for visiting my blog! I scrolled down a bit and yours looks like lots of fun :O) I have added you to my faves and I am going to tell HHL to come and visit you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where in the world do you find such fabulous information, cutie? SO interesting and fabulous ... I LOVE IT! Whatever you're doing and wherever you're finding it ... keep doing it and going there because we are thoroughly enjoying! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just there on Saturday and went to his event at Liberty, what a crush, my Manolos were trod on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful comments; thank you all so much.
    @Sandy-thank you so much for being one of my greatest cheerleaders!
    @Suburban Princess-thank you so much for popping over. I'm pleased you like what you saw. Do stop by again.
    @Tabitha- we are ALL so envious of you. I think I could have dealt with the crush ;-) Did you buy anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so fabulous, Vanessa! I just love the fun facts, I can't believe he tries on the shoes! Not sure if you read my friend Simone at The Bottom of the Ironing Basket, but she just got to go to the pop-up store in London and blogged about it! :)

    Hope you're having a wonderful week dearest! xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh, can't wait to see the scarves! And I would LOVE to own one of his old designs, to frame and hang in my bedroom :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!